You are here: Home.
Welcome to SoberDreams.com!
The Internet is a mammoth, wonderfully chaotic library. It is full of the good, the bad and the dumb. SoberDreams.com is designed to provide you with an Internet gateway to information about psychoactive substances that can cause problems (e.g., alcohol, cocaine, nicotine, etc.). The goal is to provide some order to the chaos and (hopefully) reasonable filters that access more of the good, and less of the bad and the dumb.
The purpose of this website is to provide you with a semi-structured way of learning about psychoactive substances. Psychoactive substances affect the brain. Their use can result in significant negative consequences.
You might think of SoberDreams.com as a self-taught online course (without a final exam) called “Addiction 101”. The syllabus is as follows:
- The Problem: We would not use alcohol or drugs if they did not do something for us. The Problem occurs when the use of alcohol and drugs becomes compulsive. The figures on how many people have what type of problem and how much it costs are startling. This section describes those costs.
- The Substances: Here are most of the addictive substances that give us pleasure and can cause The Problem. Pick your poison and read.
- Evidence-based treatment: Treatment outcome research attempts to give people the best choices in treatment. The odds are that evidence-based treatments will have better outcomes than untested treatments. This section describes different views on how to treat substance use disorder and outlines different treatments.
- Self-Help: This section deals with how to diagnose The Problem, how to get help through self-help groups and how to find competent treatment.
- Social Policy: The question of whether and how much to limit access to addictive substances is an ago-old question for society. Here you will find a wide range of opinions on the subject.
tl;dr: SoberDreams.com can help you make educated decisions about pleasurable substances that can cause big problems.